Thursday, April 12, 2012

Self Esteem

Self Esteem

I don't know how I came to be here. All I know is, that I am usually put into a drawer next to some books and folders along with some others of my kind; writing utensils.


I think I might have come here by accident, you know, put into a purse without paying attention after filling out an application for employment or maybe after signing a credit card slip. I am not sure... since I never had a plastic spoon attached to me, it seems logical.


So here I am now out of the drawer, lying on a fancy looking binder next to this metallic shiny beautiful pen. Yes, I am a bit envious, since I am just this insignificant little white plastic pen with with a logo and a phone number printed on it.


I wonder if Shiny here was bought or came here just like I did. I knew of some very expensive looking pens which were also imprinted with advertising. Shiny is definitely intimidating. It is so heavy and big, it must feel good in the hands of anyone writing. So smooth and so well formed to fit perfectly. Not to talk about the beautiful exterior- shiny silver ends with light blue metallic coating; it's almost like a Ferrari among the pens.


I bet it writes excellent as well - probably the best quality ink lasting forever; who knows maybe it can even write upside down like those astronaut pens I heard about. What am I even doing here? Am I even needed? Can I be of any use at all? Ok, I am panicking now, I need to focus.

...

Once I lay on top of an open magazine and I remember the page had an article about self esteem and how thinking positively can change ones life to the better.

I am a good pen. I can write and I can help create good stories, write wonderful letters and useful lists to remember. I am worthy! Even if small, beat up and made of plastic!


I hear foot steps.

My owner is entering the room and she is mumbling something about
a rough draft and homework. Oh no, she grabs shiny! I am here too! I can do it and I can help you to write the most amazing story ever! Please pick me and I will not let you down! I am light, small and plastic, and I was only created to spread the word about some company, but looks don't mean much they are just a shell; my ink is full with creativity and passion.


Yes she picked Shiny ...but wait a minute, she doesn't seem happy at all. I hear her complaining about how Shiny feels too heavy and make her fingers sweat. Now Shiny is flying through the air elegant and weightless like a spaceship on a mission until it roughly hits the ground and remains motionless.


I feel myself being lifted up in the air feeling the warm breeze coming in through the open window, get a peak of the sun trying to shine through a big fluffy cloud...and there I am ready to write being held on top of a white college ruled notebook right at the desk. Before I'll get to work I hear these words resonating deep into my soul:

"Thank goodness I have at least one good pen, I should have known!"

No comments:

Post a Comment